Every situation is different and various scenarios will determine the type of evidence that can be collected from a patient in search of the perpetrator’s DNA. The D6 Kit is to be used by Pathologists only.
The D6 Kit deals with collection of Soft Tissue such as part of foetus, brain, muscle, liver or kidney and Hard Tissue such as tooth pulp, vertebra, ribs and sponge bone. The purpose of collecting the tissue from a decomposed human is to collect DNA from such a human.
This D6 Kit contains everything required for collecting the tissue samples either on a crime scene or during an autopsy. It also contains the necessary “Chain-of-Custody” tracking information as well as “Tamper Seals” and Packaging for delivery to the SAPS Forensic Lab.
As this kit only focuses on the collection of tissue samples from a decomposed human, evidence found on the genital area or other parts of the body should be collected with other Evidence Collection Kits used for Sexual Assaults.
Other kits that can be used along with D1 Kit are:
- D1 Adult Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kit – Collection of body fluid evidence from the patient’s genital area.
- D2 DNA Evidence From Body Collection Kit – Body Fluid, such as blood, semen, saliva that have been left on the body by the perpetrator.
- D3 Reference Hair Samples – For the collection of both scalp hair and pubic hair
- D5 Clothing Collection Kit – For the collection of patient’s clothing so that the SAPS Forensic Lab can analyze them for additional evidence.
This D6 Tissue Collection Kit is supplied to Pathology facilities courtesy of the SAPS Forensic Unit and kits should be kept on hand for use when required as a way of building forensic evidence in the criminal case.
- Client SAPS Forensics
- Collector Medical Pathologist
- Availability Old kits still in use
- ICN Number 6550T05004359